1. Do you have time sensitive packages, materials, or processes?
2. How important is the package, data, materials and its location to your organization?
3. How costly is it when a package or document is missing?
4. Is chain of custody important to the process?
5. Do you want/need to know who is in custody of an item at any given time?
6. If an original document was lost what is the potential liability to your organization?
7. Do other members of your organization have a need to see where their item or process is at any given time or step? Example if a doctor in a hospital wanted to view where a sample was during the evaluation process.
Tracking software can have many valuable impacts to your organization. These were just a few ideas to help you consider whether or not tracking software is a necessity. Happy tracking!